The Marcellus Shale: The Science Beneath the Surface
We are holding a workshop on April 26 entitled I want to teach about hydrofracking, but I don't know where to start!.
More information and online registration is available here.
What is the Marcellus Shale?
The Marcellus Shale is an organic-rich layer of rock extending deep underground from Ohio and West Virginia northeast into Pennsylvania and southern New York. It has long been known that the Marcellus Shale holds a substantial quantity of natural gas; recent technological advances have made recovering gas from these deposits economically attractive to natural gas companies, but with numerous potential environmental impacts both local and global. The aim of this website is to provide introductory information on the geology and extraction of gas from the Marcellus Shale, on the associated environmental risks, and on the broader energy context of the issues.
- The Science Beneath the Surface: A Very Short Guide to the Marcellus Shale: A short book (published October 2013) about the geology and environmental impacts of drilling in the Marcellus Shale, and about the energy systems and risk, and teaching about the topic.
- “Best Practices in Marcellus Shale Education Conference”: A meeting held March 18 & 19, 2013, Ithaca, New York. Webpages for the meeting contain presentations and notes from the conference.
- The Marcellus Papers: A series of papers exploring Earth systems issues related to Marcellus drilling; most content from these papers, together with additional content, is incorporated into the book The Science Beneath the Surface: A Very Short Guide to the Marcellus Shale.
- The Science Beneath the Surface: A blog by PRI staff on the nature of science and vetting information for use in Marcellus outreach.
- Toward a less polarized energy-literate community: Extended version of a guest viewpoint featured in the Ithaca Journal on January 18, 2012.
- PRI approach to Marcellus Shale outreach
- Resources: A few selected websites that have additional information on resources on the Marcellus Shale.
If you have feedback about the book Science Beneath the Surface, please use our Feedback form. If you have a question about another aspect of PRI’s Marcellus Shale outreach program, please contact email@example.com.
If you have a question about setting up an interview with the authors, press materials, or anything similarly related, please contact Andrew Matthiessen at firstname.lastname@example.org.